Thursday, February 11, 2010

Avatar: why it sucks and so much more


Let me start by saying I hate James Cameron. It's true I do but I will address that in a minute, now the beginning. When I first saw the trailer for Avatar on Apple trailers website I really wasn't impressed. While I will watch just about anything Im not a big fan of fantasy flicks, it's just not my thing. As Avatar got closer to it's release date a big buzz started to build about how (my first clue that it would suck) JAMES CAMERON had used some new technology that would blow minds and melt faces. Hmmm okay, so I took a look at the extended trailer that was now up and read the synopsis. I couldn't put my finger on it I just didn't like something about this movie. At first I thought maybe it was the the fact that Cameron obviously ripped off Dances With Wolves or any other Native American tale of that matter. No that's not it I watch rip off films all the time and I usually enjoy them. Mostly for the simple reason; I feel smarter than the rest of the audience because I figured out it's a rip off film. (Yes I know the difference between ripping off a film and a film being inspiration for another.) I kept thinking about it, mostly because everyone of my friends(most of who don't like movies) kept asking me if I was going to see it. I watched more trailers. I didn't like the story simply combined a few different indigenous cultures to create the Na'vi charters. I finally settled on the fact that I didn't like how Cameron had such a huge political, environmental, and social agenda in the film. I really thought about this, that couldn't be it either I've watched hundreds of movies with agendas in them I disagreed with far more. Then I figured it out. While all of these things are annoying it's not enough for me to develop the hatred towards this movie that I have. I looked at the root of it all and like a light from god it came down. It all comes back to my hatred of James Cameron. I don't want to hear the political, social, or environmental views of a man I think is a moron and has never made a good movie. Think about it, what movie has he ever made that was good? Not that made money, Im not arguing that the man is not a genius at making money. Obviously he is some sort of freak of nature at making films that make money but name one movie he has done that has a good plot line, good acting, and isn't full of actors that have huge box office pull? Everything Cameron has ever done is know for two things: 1. How much it cost to make 2. the special effects. Some of his films are good because of nostalgic reasons but as a stand alone film, THEY SUCK! Cameron makes movies for people that don't like movies. The masses go to see his films in droves because they are on the same level of entertainment as fireworks no real depth or actual feeling is involved. You can completely zone out for two hours. This all really comes through in the trailer for Avatar you can't help but think "ohhhh pretty" and just kinda stare at the screen with your mouth ignorantly hanging open. It is just a film with some cool, for the moment, special effects and a faux deeper meaning. Proof he only makes films for money is in the fact that Avatar was so successful, translation made so much money, the studio is in talks of doing a second film. The douche even claims to have a story line for a third. Once again James Cameron has duped us all, laughing all the way to the bank. I HATE YOU JAMES CAMERON

Anthony
Ps. I know I can't spell or punctuate correctly

No comments:

Post a Comment